USPS First Class Package Service is one of the US Postal Service’s most popular shipping services, perfect for sending out lightweight items in a quick timeframe. Here’s everything you need to know about it.
USPS First Class Package Service: The Breakdown
- Delivery occurs between 1-3 business days anywhere in the United States
- Free door-to-door tracking included
- Maximum weight allowed is 15.999 ounces (just under 1 pound)
- Maximum dimensions allowed are 22 inches long, 18 inches wide, and 15 inches thick (22x18x15″)
- USPS First Class Package doesn’t come with built-in insurance (therefore, we recommend that you purchase additional shipping insurance when using this service)
- There are no USPS branded boxes for First Class Package
- You’ll need to use your own packaging for this mail class. There are free USPS boxes for other mail classes, such as Priority Mail and Priority Mail Express.
The 2020 First Class Package Pricing Table (Commercial Pricing)
The following table is a complete pricing chart for First Class Package as of 2020. The table reflects USPS Commercial Pricing rates, the deepest level of discounts that you can only get with online shipping software solutions. One other thing to remember is that the Post Office will charge you for Priority Mail service if your package is over 14 oz. On the other hand, shipping software still lets you ship First Class Package for packages between 14 and 16 oz. As a result, the Retail Rate for First Class Package—what you’ll pay at the Post Office—can be up to 146% more expensive!
Up to, not over
L, 1 & 2
|All US Territories
|1 to 4 oz||$2.74||$2.76||$2.78||$2.84||$2.93||$3.05||$3.18||$3.18|
|5 to 8 oz||$3.21||$3.23||$3.25||$3.31||$3.39||$3.52||$3.67||$3.67|
|9 to 12 oz||$3.93||$3.97||$4.00||$4.08||$4.18||$4.32||$4.46||$4.46|
|13 to 15.99 oz||$5.04||$5.08||$5.12||$5.27||$5.40||$5.54||$5.70||$5.70|
Maximum Weight at the Post Office is Different from Shipping Software
If you’ve stood in line at the Post Office and looked around at some of the signs, you may have noticed a discrepancy with the maximum weight allowed for First Class Package. Under Retail Rates (what you pay at the Post Office), the maximum weight for First Class Package is 13 ounces. Only when you use shipping software to buy postage online will the maximum weight increase to 15.999 ounces.
For many shipments over 13 ounces but under 1 pound, this threshold of 3 ounces or so can be the difference between shipping at First Class Package rates, or paying much more for Priority Mail. In some cases, getting to ship First Class package could save you a few dollars…and if you’re sending out a lot of packages, savings of a few dollars really adds up in the long run. That’s the biggest reason why you should always use shipping software to buy postage online, instead of paying Retail Rates at the Post Office!
Looking for the right shipping software for you?
To get the cheapest First Class Package Service rates, check out our guide: