The European Union estimates that over 7 million Ukrainians will be displaced due to Russian forces invading and mounting assaults on the country’s major cities. Watching the conflict from afar, people around the world have found themselves wondering how they can help Ukrainian citizens. In the past few weeks, many in the shipping community have asked us how they might be able to provide some sort of aid. In times of crisis, well-meaning shippers often provide aid by sending care packages, medical supplies, and non-perishable foodstuffs. Unfortunately, nearly all carriers aren’t accepting packages to Ukraine right now. However, while you can’t ship to the country right now, you can still help by donating to Ukraine.
You Can’t Use Major Carriers to Ship to Ukraine, but You Can Donate
Right now, none of the major carriers are accepting to shipments to Ukraine. This includes USPS, UPS, and FedEx. That said, you can still donate to Ukraine, despite not being able to currently ship there.
Where (and How) to Donate
Below, we’ve compiled a list of several organizations providing relief to Ukrainian citizens:
- AirBnb.org (different from AirBnb.com) – The nonprofit arm of AirBnb is asking people in neighboring countries to sign up to provide temporary housing for Ukrainian refugees. If you’re not in a position to directly provide temporary housing, you can donate to their stays here.
- CARE – A donation supports CARE’s Ukraine Crisis Fund, which aims to reach over 4 million people by providing food, water, hygiene kits, psychosocial support, and cash assistance. CARE prioritizes women and girls, families, and the elderly. Donate to CARE’s Ukraine Crisis Fund here.
- Doctors Without Borders – Staff members working for this organization have remained in Ukraine and other neighboring countries like Poland, Moldova, and Slovakia. On top of seeking new ways to respond to immediate medical and humanitarian needs, the organization’s focus is currently “reinforcing capacity for surgical care, emergency medicine, and mental health support for displaced people.” Donate to Doctors Without Borders here.
- International Medical Corps – On top of working to aid Ukrainian refugees, this organization focuses on providing access to medical and mental health services for those living in affected communities. Donate to International Medical Corps here.
- Project HOPE – This organization is on the ground and providing relief by delivering essential medicine like insulin and other medical supplies in Ukraine, Poland, and Moldova. Donate to Project HOPE here.
- World Central Kitchen (WCK) – This organization provides meals to people in need around the world, and staffers are currently feeding Ukrainian refugees on the Polish border. Donate to WCK here.