David C. Williams is the former Vice Chairman of the USPS Board of Governors. The Senate confirmed President Trump’s appointment of Williams in August 2018, and he was officially elected Vice Chairman on September 13, 2018. Williams stepped down from this position in May 2020, when Louis DeJoy assumed the role of Postmaster General.
Duties and Responsibilities
As Vice Chairman of USPS’ Board of Governors, Williams worked alongside current Chairman Robert Duncan. Simply put, the Board of Governors is the regulating entity that controls how the Postal Service exercises its powers. The Board of Governors holds duties such as monitoring and controlling expenditures, reviewing practices, and conducting long-range planning. The Board of Governors also approves officer compensation and sets policies on all postal matters. Williams often serves as an official spokesperson for USPS, as seen in a recent Senate hearing on President Trump’s Postal Task Force.
David C. Williams’ Background
Williams graduated from Southern Illinois University, and earned a master’s degree in education from the University of Illinois. In addition, he also attended the US Military Intelligence Academy, the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, and the US Secret Service Training Academy. A US Army veteran, Williams received the Bronze Star and the Vietnamese Medal of Honor for serving in Vietnam. After his tour of duty, he began his civilian federal career as a special agent with the United States Secret Service.
Prior to assuming his role, Williams has enjoyed a long career in government. In fact, Williams served as Inspector General for five different federal agencies under five presidential administrations! He also worked as Inspector General for the Postal Service from 2003 to 2016, during which he oversaw a staff of more than 1,125 employees. We’ve listed several of Williams’ many government positions below:
- Inspector General for the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Vice Chairman of the Government Accountability and Transparency Board
- Inspector General for Tax Administration at the Department of Treasury
- Inspector General for the Social Security Administration
- Acting IG the Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Director of Operations in the Office of Labor Racketeering at the Department of Labor
- Supervisory Staff Investigator for the President’s Commission on Organized Crime
- Director of the Office of Special Investigations at the US General Accounting Office