You know one of the best things about the Internet? It’s that you can schedule a pickup for your packages from your very own home! It’s easy to schedule a pickup with each of the three major carriers, and pickups can even be free. However, each carrier has a slightly different process. Below, we’ve outlined all the steps to follow to schedule a pickup with either USPS, UPS, or FedEx.
Schedule a Pickup with USPS
- Visit USPS.com to schedule a pickup.
- Fill out the question prompts. They are as follows:
- “Where should we pick up?”
- “Where should we look for your shipment?”
- Be sure to include any special instructions, like a phone number USPS needs to call, or a gate code they need in order to access your package.
- “What time should we pick up?”
- “When should we pick up?”
- “How many items are we picking up?”
- When you’ve answered those questions, click “Schedule a Pickup” and you’re all set!
When Can I Schedule a Pickup with USPS?
You can schedule a pickup with USPS at any time! If you don’t schedule a specific time, pickup will occur during your typical mail delivery time, and it will be FREE. If you schedule a specific pickup time, pickup with cost around $22.
Pro Tip: You can also use use shipping software to schedule a pickup with USPS! Sometimes, it’s easier to use an app like Pirate Ship to schedule a pickup than to go through USPS’ website. It’s kind of like killing two birds with one stone. You can schedule a pickup and get the deepest USPS postage discounts at the same time!
Schedule a Pickup with UPS
First, you’ll need to create an account on the UPS website. There are two ways to schedule a pickup with UPS: by phone, and online. We’ve outlined the steps for both ways below.
- Call 1-800-742-5877. This is UPS’ phone number devoted to pickups.
- Have all your shipment info ready to go. This includes:
- The type of postage desired
- Package weight and package dimensions
- Pickup location, date, and time
- Additional service and package info
- Preferences on notifications (for example, whether you’d like to receive phone, email, or text notifications)
- Visit UPS’s pickup scheduling site
- Fill out the following sections for Package Pickups:
- Shipping Label Questions
- If you already have printed labels, answer YES to the question: “Do you have preprinted UPS shipping labels for your shipment?”
- If you choose NO, you’ll be prompted to buy postage online. You can also opt to pay your driver with a money order or a check.
- Pickup Information & Location.
- Service and Package Information
- Pickup Date and Time
- Pickup Notifications
- You can opt for mobile or email notifications, including up to 5 additional recipients with a personal note.
- Shipping Label Questions
- Click “Next”
- Choose your payment method
- You can opt to bill to your UPS account, bill the pickup requester, pay by debit/credit card, or pay with a check or money order.
- Verify your pickup information
- Click “Complete”
Schedule a Pickup with FedEx
- First, create an account with FedEx and set up a FedEx account number.
- After you’ve created your Account Number, click on “Schedule a Pickup.”
- Choose your account details
- Enter your Pickup Address
- Enter your Package Information
- Fill out the form requirements in this field. They include: Number of Packages, Total Weight, Pickup Time, and special instructions.
- If you want, you can toggle optional Pickup Notifications
- Once you complete all the sections, click “Schedule Pickup”